English Education Project
Dates of Project:
Late July or early August 2019
Participants will book air travel as a group and will depart in early August and return in mid-August. Total time will be approximately two weeks.
Suggested Deadline for Application:
April 5, 2019
Number of FOI Participants Needed:
- Minimum of 18 years of age.
- High school graduate (however, degreed individuals in discipline are preferred).
- A valid passport.
- Entrance visa for Zimbabwe.
- The desire to serve with enthusiasm in challenging circumstances.
- The ability to set an excellent example of personal conduct at all times.
- The ability to adapt to different environments and cultures and to get along well with people.
- Sufficient health and stamina to work in a developing world environment. A medical examination will be required of all participants.
- Willingness to engage in pre-project training on teaching methods used for past Zimbabwe projects in the two months prior to departure.
- Teaching experience is very helpful, but not required.
- Pre-project, online training by FOI prior to departure for project.
- A recommendation from an FOI Board member.
Lodging and meals will be provided during the project. Lodging may be in local citizens’ homes in somewhat limited conditions or camping on the facility property in tents or at a retreat facility. Either way, there may be occasional power outages and only limited hot water for bathing, etc.
Working in the developing world presents special rewards and challenges. It offers the chance to make a positive difference in people’s lives in a much more dramatic way than in Western nations. Participants will have the opportunity to represent their individual countries, as well as Foundation Outreach International, and in a limited way help advance the cause of global unity coupled with international cooperation. While the comfort and safety of our young adult volunteers is paramount in our planning, participants should be prepared for minimal living conditions in meeting these challenges.
Nature of Project:
Participants will serve as teachers, conducting basic conversational English classes in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, for adults and youth from rural areas of Zimbabwe. Training in teaching English as a second language (ESL) would be helpful, but is not necessary. Willingness to train on the teaching method in the months prior to the project will be necessary.
Goals of Participant Involvement:
Foundation Outreach International has designed the programs to help motivated young adults connect with Zimbabwean citizens through service. This dimension of leadership and service will be awakened and directed toward our vision of “Doing a World of Good.” To that end, all participants should understand that their involvement in this project should lead them to:
- Understand the vision of and need for good works for humanity.
- Experience and live the vision of serving others in need.
- Identify with and participate in the FOI mission.
- Understand that by such participation they will have become a part of something bigger than themselves and contributed to the greater good of humanity.
Pre-trip teleconference and training coupled with post-project discussion of these outcomes will be asked of all service project participants.
Estimated Cost to FOI Service Project Participants:
Airfare to Bulawayo, Zimbabwe ($2,500 minus $1,100 FOI Volunteer Airfare Scholarship = $1,400), malaria meds ($100), travel health insurance ($80), visa ($100) and pocket money ($150). (All ground transport, room, and board costs will be paid for by FOI funding.) While we believe these costs are accurate, all participants should be prepared for costs being slightly higher.
Total estimated cost per service project volunteer = approximately $1,830.