Assist with Youth Camp
Dates of Project:
December 24-28, 2021
December 20-30, 2021
Deadline for Application:
November 12, 2021
Number of FOI Participants Needed:
- Minimum 18 years of age
- High school graduate
- Valid passport
- Entrance visa to Kenya
- Desire to serve with enthusiasm in challenging circumstances
- Ability to adapt to different environments, cultures, and get along well with a variety of people
- Good health and stamina
- Special COVID requirements
- Previous camp experience preferred
- Recommendation from an FOI Board member
Lodging and meals will be provided during the project. Kenya is subject to occasional power outages and at times hot water for bathing, electricity at night etc. may not be available.
Working in the developing world presents special rewards and challenges. It offers the chance to make a positive difference in people’s lives in a much more dramatic way than in Western nations. Participants will have the opportunity to represent their individual countries as well as Foundation Outreach International, and in a limited way help advance the cause of global unity coupled with international cooperation. While the comfort and safety of our young adult volunteers is paramount in our planning; nonetheless, participants should be prepared for minimal living conditions and the chance for great personal growth in meeting these challenges.
Nature of Project:
Participants will serve as staff, taking charge and teaching various activities for approximately 40 Kenyan youth who will come as campers.
Goals of Participant Involvement:
Foundation International has designed the programs to help motivated young adults connect with Kenyan citizens through service. This dimension of leadership and service will be awakened and directed toward our vision of “Doing a World of Good.” To that end, all participants should understand that their involvement in this project should lead them to:
- Understand the vision of and need for good works for humanity.
- Experience and live the vision of serving others in need.
- Identify with and participate in the FOI mission.
- Understand that, by such participation, they will have become a part of something bigger than themselves and contributed to the greater good of humanity.
Pre-trip teleconferences and training coupled with post-project discussion of these outcomes will be asked of all service project participants.
Estimated Cost to FOI Service Project Participants:
- All ground transport, room, and board costs will be paid for by FOI funding.
- Airfare to Nairobi, Kenya: $2,000 minus an estimated FOI Volunteer Airfare Scholarship = $1,000 volunteer out of pocket estimate.
- Malaria meds: $100
- Travel Health Insurance: $50
- Money for Nairobi shopping, visiting some animal orphanages and pocket money: $200
- Travel Visa: $50
While we believe these costs are accurate, all participants should be prepared for costs being slightly higher.
Total estimated cost per service project volunteer is approximately $1400.