Teen Youth Camp
Dates of Project:
Air travel will be coordinated to arrive in Accra as a group, and would depart in mid August, returning in late August. Total time will be approximately two weeks.
Deadline for Application:
Number of FOI Participants Needed:
Four volunteers – two male, two female.
- Minimum of 18 years of age.
- High school graduate.
- A valid passport.
- Entrance Visa for Ghana
- The desire to serve with enthusiasm in challenging circumstances.
- The ability to set an excellent example of personal conduct at all times.
- The ability to adapt to different environments and cultures and to get along well with people.
- Sufficient health and stamina to work in a developing world environment. A medical examination will be required of all participants.
- Willingness to engage in pre-project training on teaching methods used for the Zambia project in two months prior to departure.
- Previous CYC or UYC experience as camper or staff preferred.
- A recommendation from an FIO Board member.
Lodging and meals will be provided during the project. Ghana is subject to occasional power outages and at times hot water for bathing, etc. may not be available.
Working in the developing world presents special rewards and challenges. It offers the chance to make a positive difference in people’s lives in a much more dramatic way than in Western nations. Participants will have the opportunity to represent their individual countries as well as Foundation Outreach International, and in a limited way help advance the cause of global unity coupled with international cooperation. While the comfort and safety of our young adult volunteers is paramount in our planning; nonetheless, participants should be prepared for minimal living conditions and the chance for great personal growth in meeting these challenges.
Nature of Project:
Participants will serve as staff, taking charge and teaching various activities for approximately 100 Ghanaian youth who will come as campers. This camp is held once every two years, so it is eagerly anticipated.
Goals of Participant Involvement:
Foundation Outreach International has designed the programs to help motivated young adults connect with Zambian citizens through service. This dimension of leadership and service will be awakened and directed toward our vision of “Doing a World of Good.” To that end, all participants should understand that their involvement in this project should lead them to:
- Understand the vision of and need for good works for humanity.
- Experience and live the vision of serving others in need.
- Identify with and participate in the FOI mission.
- Understand that, by such participation, they will have become a part of something bigger than themselves and contributed to the greater good of humanity.
Pre-trip teleconferences and training coupled with post-project discussion of these outcomes will be asked of all service project participants.
Estimated Cost to FOI Service Project Participants:
All ground transport, room, and board costs will be paid for by FOI funding. Airfare to Accra, Ghana ($2,100 –minus $1000 FOI Volunteer Airfare Scholarship = $1100), Malaria meds ($100), Travel Health Insurance ($50), and pocket money ($150), Visa ($100). While we believe these costs are accurate, all participants should be prepared for costs being slightly higher.
Total estimated cost per service project volunteer = approximately $1,500